Trim Castle located in Trim, County Meath on the shores of the Boyne occupies an area of some 30,000 m2. It is the largest Norman castle in Europe, and Ireland’s largest castle. It was built primarily by Hugh de Lacy and his son Walter.
The Castle was used as a centre of Norman administration for the Liberty of Meath, one of the new administrative areas of Ireland created by Henry II of England and granted to Hugh de Lacy whom obtained possession of the Castle in 1172. De Lacy constructed a large ringwork castle defended by a wide double palisade and external ditch at the top of the hill.
The ringwork was attacked and burnt by the Irish but De Lacy immediately rebuilt it in 1173. His son Walter continued rebuilding and the castle was completed c 1204.
The location for the castle was choosen due to the site been on elevated ground overlooking a fording point over the River Boyne. Although the Castles Location with respect to the coast was some 20 plus miles its accessibility during Medieval Times was not a problem due to proximity to the River Boyne
Trim Castle is open, on payment of a modest entry fee, to the public everyday from Easter Saturday to Halloween (October 31) from 10am.
The castle grounds, outside the walls, including the restored small canal and fine viewing areas, can be accessed free all year around, and there is a pedestrian bridge across the Boyne to allow access to outlying historic remains.