The Abbeyglen Castle was built in 1832 by John d’Arcy of Clifden Castle, 33 years before Mitchell Henry built Kylemore Abbey in 1865. D’Arcy, who founded Clifden in 1812, was considered a leader of the community and was frequently consulted by the local constabulary in time of trouble or unrest.
Following d’Arcy’s death, his son Mitchen sold the property to the Irish Church Mission Society in 1854. As a result of the Famine the estate hit troubled times and the property fell derelict.
In 1969, the Joyce family, then owners, sold the property to the Hughes family, who through the years have improved the castle and gardens to their present state.